Monday, May 31, 2010

Progress: Memorial Day

In the veggie garden: tomatoes are ready to be staked; carrots are about an inch out of the ground; lettuce looks good enough to eat.

In the flower garden: new plants! We spent the weekend out of town, which included raiding my husband's grandparents' old homestead. For the taking: many hostas (we turned ours into seven separate plants and put them in the big planter; I will buy some color to add to this very green space), one rosebush (no clue what color/variety it'll be), some sedum (which I hope will fill in nicely), and a few things for...

Elsewhere: behind the air conditioning unit, two plants which may or may not make it after their night in the car...a rhubarb and a peony. I did zero research to determine if these plants can live happily together, either. I really am a beginner. Also, two colors of iris, which we planted by the orange lilies. Deep purple and a gold/burgundy combination will look nice with the orange day lilies when all are in bloom.

Finally, the last two pictures are again of the juniper bushes. One is healthy and pretty, the other has been dug up by someone's dog (okay, mine) and replanted exactly twice. One member of this household (me) thinks it should be replaced asap. Another member (him) believes it will survive. I worry it will be stunted at the very least, and then the "wall" effect I'm eventually trying to accomplish will not happen. Please weigh in. Thank you.











6 comments:

  1. Suzanne thinks it will survive. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't let a good plant die just because its banged up a little bit (you've seen Seabiscuit, right?) Give it a Miracle-Gro fertilizer with a high second number. It will have numbers similar to 6-18-6. The phosphorus is good for root development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I've seen some major turnarounds with plants I could have sworn were going to die. However, I would bypass the Miracle-Gro and go with the seaweed option - smells like crap but works great.

    Have you planted the bean seeds yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are both Miracle-Gro and/or seaweed okay for dogs? You read the part about Jersey being the problem, right?

    Yes, I did plant the bean seeds. Forgot to mention it. When they spring up from the ground I will post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liquid plant food/fertilizer won't hurt your dogs. It's absorbed into the ground and therefor there is nothing for them to ingest. I have never heard of using seaweed before. If that is in liquid form too, no worries. If not, I have no idea if there are any toxic seaweeds when it comes to domestic animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bad, it's not seaweed, it's fish and kelp fertilizer. And yes it's liquid, made for organic gardens.

    ReplyDelete