Sunday, May 16, 2010

Into the ground

Finally got things in the ground today. Had every intention of doing it yesterday, but was struck down with headache and general yuckiness. Had to conserve my strength because we had plans last night.

But lucky for me, it was just as nice today. I planted the whole vegetable garden, the strawberry pots, and put in some perennials in the flower bed. I had to take a few breaks. I have to say, digging and hoeing and raking and bending, etc. etc. is very hard work when you're pregnant.

Some of my plants are looking bleak; they have been living in my bathroom since May 6th. I bought them at the Friends School Plant Sale and then it was super cold and rainy and yucky for two weeks.

In the vegetable bed:
4th of July tomatoes
Green Zebra heirloom tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Sweet banana peppers
Mixed Bell peppers
Cuke nuts (cute mini cucumbers)
Bush beans (looking weak; don't know if they'll make it)
Sweet white onions (also looking a little weak)
Carrots (all the empty space by the onions and beans are carrot seeds)
transplanted chives (quite large already, since they've been in a pot since last year)
Curly parsley
Spearmint
Lemon basil
Mixed lettuce
Mesclun seed balls (found these at Mother Earth; they are supposed to sprout quickly and produce lovely lettuce)

So far in the flower bed:
transplanted hostas along the front
Lamb's ear
Mini Hollyhocks
Sweet Tea Heucherella
and some pretty mossy plant (I threw away the tag too soon)

You'll notice in the pictures that the fence is also new. SOOO glad I put the short fence in weeks ago as a test, because it did NOT keep the dogs out at all. If this one doesn't work, I give up :-)

The pots of strawberries are my favorite right now. I hope they don't get eaten by birds. I went with cedar planters, because they were made in Washington. All the pottery I found was imported from far, far away. Local pottery can apparently only be found in studios, where it costs about $200 a pot. No thanks. The wood matches, I think. Looks good.

(Jersey snuck into some pictures; attention whore.)

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg2myYw8z7cta10XeJt1IZlv96xMmrUGgs_n6A1NOljKVB9JIy1LZju3bNuCyCjolD_XCittcQhDVjKzk9_kuAEwtduaioZOUTUukN3E5rbI3LYdnxpS-TmaPi7p69bOYOyu8cJrGWYeuo/s1600/P1010201.JPG">







2 comments:

  1. Your strawberries look good! As does Jersey... we put in our plants this weekend too and you are nine hundred percent right: doing this pregnant is rough. Fortunately, Ryan did a lot of the harder stuff, which kept my whining to a minimum. Oh, and we have a half whiskey barrel full of dirt and our very own blueberry bush! It has some flowers, so I'm hopeful... and the raspberries are, of course, back with a vengeance. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your beans don't survive, remember I have 2 different kinds of seeds you have can. They grew great for me last year, direct seeded into the ground. We just opted to not do beans this year.

    ReplyDelete